Friday, July 30, 2010

Anne Rice

Well done Anne Rice!
Pink News: Author Anne Rice 'quits' being a Christian over attitudes to gays and women
"I quit being a Christian. I'm out. In the name of Christ, I refuse to be anti-gay. I refuse to be anti-feminist. I refuse to be anti-artificial birth control. I refuse to be anti-Democrat. I refuse to be anti-secular humanism. I refuse to be anti-science. I refuse to be anti-life. In the name of Christ, I quit Christianity and being Christian. Amen."
She could always join the Unitarian Universalist Church, the liberal Episcopalians, the Liberal Quakers, or the Metropolitan Community Church, none of which are anti-gay. Indeed the MCC is run by and for LGBT people.

In addition, the Unitarians and Universalists and the Quakers have a long history of being in favour of science and reason (e.g. Tim Berners-Lee, Servetus, Robert Darwin, Newton, etc.). And the Unitarians (in 1904) and the Universalists (in 1860) were the first to have women ministers. I'm less well-informed about the history of Quakers, but they're very liberal too.

2 comments:

Kittredge Cherry said...

Thanks for this informative post. I just posted my open letter to Anne Rice. It begins, “Believe it or not, you can be Christian AND support gay rights and feminism!”

The whole letter is posted at the Jesus in Love Blog.

I feel a special connection to Anne Rice because both of us wrote first-person novels about the life of Christ.

I visited Anne Rice’s Facebook page where she announced quitting the church. Most of the comments seemed to say something like, “Welcome back to the Goddess!”

Yewtree said...

Yes, I was quite surprised that she didn't go and join one of the liberal churches mentioned above if she is still a follower of Jesus. And if she joined the UUs, she could honour the Goddess too (and I know you MCCs honour the Divine beyond gender).